As I said the extra spicy ginger beer is the key and Tanzania has a product called Stoney Tangawizi that fits the bill. Tangawizi is the Swahili word for ginger and the product is made by Coca-Cola in East Africa (though not Rwanda). It is probably one of those drinks I tried at The World of Coca-Cola tasting room as a child and couldn't imagine someone actually drinking it. Well, I was wrong. It is delicious!
There is no Gosling's Black Seal available in the Duty Free of any of the five airports I have been in of late (though my guy at Duty Free in Kigali says he will order some and have it by November) so Bacardi Black was substituted (the Captain Morgan's Black was terrible). Note: Like with a "Bacardi & Coke" (I learned this in Puerto Rico), Gosling's has trademarked "Dark 'n' Stormy" so if someone orders one in a bar it is required that only Gosling's Black Seal is used (NYTimes: The Right Stuff (by Law)).
Limes/green lemons are readily available in the markets and ice is being made in a very nice refrigerator with ice cube trays in our new apartment.
I imagine I am the only person having the Dark 'n' Stormy in Tanzania, but you should try them at home! Lime optional, enjoyment mandatory!
- NYTimes: Case Study - Cloudy, With a Chance of Ginger
- Ginger Beer Recipes for home brewers (Morgan)
0 comments:
Post a Comment